Saturday, July 07, 2007

Book club reading feels like work

I have written more than once that I am a slow reader, and I knew that my slowness coupled with my grad school workload might be a problem when I agreed to join a book club. Well, the club meets tomorrow, and I still have over 100 pages to read, and I am the host--I chose this book. I wouldn't be as worried if it weren't for the fact that I am going to the Astros game tomorrow, so I really have to finish tonight.

I really don't enjoy trying to zoom through books, especially books like The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. I would like to have the time to wallow in such wonderful use of language as Desai's and ponder her insights into humanity, but I really haven't been able to do that with this book. Next time I get to choose, I might pick something less literary.

If I didn't have so much reading to do, I would post something longer tonight. I would post about how much I enjoyed 1408, and I would post about the clever lyrics in Panic! at the Disco's songs. Oh yeah, I would also post about the great time I had at the True Colors concert, especially how great Cyndi Lauper was.

Alas, though, I have to read now. Maybe I'll find time to write later.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

But the discussion was good!

Lois said...

Hi Kim. I am back blogging. I lost mine. Long story. I miss you and to see the trash cans outside your door sadden me! I'll be okay. :) I see you are reading a lot. Me too. I have a huge list. Maybe I will read some of your titles.
Friends forever,
Lois