Monday, April 25, 2005

A summer Sunday night in April

Right now, I should be in bed asleep, having read myself to sleep. But I'm having a summer Sunday night. This evening, I had a nice dinner with my friend Valerie, then we played a game of Trivial Pursuit (I won :-) while we watched some mindless television. During the game, I got this feeling that today was a summer Sunday and that I didn't have to go to work tomorrow. Of course, I know that I have five more weeks before I can have a summer Sunday, but I'm still feeling that way. I feel like I can stay up late & sleep late. Too bad it's an illusion or a delusion rather. It has been a beautiful weekend in Houston, and I don't want it to end. I will have to face reality when my alarm goes off in the morning. I will be so glad when this school year is over. I just wish it would be my last one.

I finished reading The Russian Debutante's Handbook today. Parts of it were very funny, but it kept the gag going too long. I couldn't suspend disbelief for the duration of the book. I did like the ending however. I'm not sure I would recommend it to any of my reading friends. It was chock full of allusions to literary criticism and academia, so I guess I would recommend it to people who enjoy novels about academia.

I think I will read Truth and Beauty now. I read the first chapter last week after I purchased the book, and I think I will go ahead and read it now. I don't usually read nonfiction, especially not biography, but this one is supposed to be excellent--it's the biography of a friendship between two writers, Ann Patchett & Lucy Grealey.

Okay. CSI is over so my summer Sunday night in April must come to an end now. :-(

Good night.

No comments: