Sunday, August 13, 2006

Random Book Quote

Valerie tagged me, and since I always have a book handy, I thought I would do this before I venture out into the Houston heat for a walk.

1. Grab the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
Sophie's Choice by William Styron

2. Open the book to page 123.

3. Find the fifth sentence (grab next nearest book if fewer than seven sentences found).

4. Post the text of the next three sentences on your blog along with these instructions.

Defying habit, I had for several days risen just past dawn, propelled to my table by the electric urgency I have described, and had written steadily for two hours or more. I had completed one of those (for me) fantastic sprints--a thousand words or thereabouts--which was to characterize this stage of the book's creation, I felt a bit winded, and therefore Nathan's knock at my door as he passed on his way to work was a welcome distraction. He had popped in on me like this for several mornings and I enjoyed the by-play.

5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

6. Tag three people.
I only have about three regular readers, one of whom is Valerie, so anyone who reads this should considered themselves tagged.

Now I'm going to head out into the Houston heat. If I don't melt, I'll blog later this evening about this very funny movie that I saw last night.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

No wonder you like that book! :)