Friday, November 24, 2006

Belated Thanksgiving

I had been thinking all week that I would post a message detailing the people and things that I am thankful for. In the past, recent and not so recent, I have had a difficult time articulating what I am thankful for, but I still wanted to post something about it. At church on Sunday, we had the opportunity to go to the front, light a candle, and speak thanks. At least one of the participants' thanksgiving brought tears to my eyes. I kept trying to think of something to say so I could participate, but nothing came to mind. I am rather selfish and self-involved, but I am grateful for people and things in my life. Why can't I articulate my thanks?

I could always say I am thankful for friends and family, which would be true, but everyone says that. I guess my problem is that I want to say something meaningful, clever, insightful--see, selfish and self-involved. In situations like this, I'm sure that simple and sincere is best, but the writer/show-off/smart ass, refuses simple. The result of my refusal is silence. Silence connotes lack, but there is no lack of people and things for which I am grateful.

Sitting around my brother's house yesterday, I realized how truly grateful I am for my family. I have four siblings, who love me no matter how superior or bitchy I act to them. They always forgive and forget my offenses as I do theirs. Perhaps most importantly, they will not hesitate to tell me when I'm being superior or bitchy, and they will make me angry, but the anger is never very long lasting. They want the best for me, and I want the same for them. I have ten nieces and nephews. I have two great-nephews and one great-niece--two more great-nieces are expected, one in a week or so and another in March. I love watching them grow up, even when they make mistakes. I find it surprisingly exciting that my nieces are now mommies. We drew names for Christmas presents yesterday. Economically, drawing names is best when you have such a large family, but I was kind of sad that I won't be shopping for all of the children, especially the babies. I might just have to buy them all something anyway. I'm not very good about keeping up with birthdays, so maybe I will buy each a book and say it's a late birthday present. :-)

I am also grateful for all my friends. All is a relative word--I really don't have that many good friends, but the few that I have are wonderful. I am grateful for them even when they don't get along with each other, even when I feel pulled by two allegiances. They are each important for a different, but equally important, reason. I can't imagine my life without Susy, Valerie, Lois, or Penny. In addition, I have several friends at work that I will truly miss when I leave my current position, which will be no later than May.

I am also thankful for the following things:

  • that Valerie changed my blog title banner--she is the best blog designer ever!
  • that I have had the opportunity to affect some children's lives in a positive way as a teacher.
  • that I can read and enjoy great literature.
  • that I am able to pursue a change in profession via the Internet.
  • that I live in a democratic country where votes do count and sometimes I am part of the majority.
  • that I have a job, even if it's one that I no longer want to have.
  • that I live in a city where I can go to museums, the theatre, and other cultural events whenever I desire.
  • that I get to see the Astros play as much as I can afford. :-)
  • that the Cowboys are 7-4 right now and seem to be playoff bound.
  • that I became a Unitarian Universalist.

I am sure that I could keep this list going if I tried, but I need to shut down and meet my sister and her family for lunch before I head back to H-town from my East Texas hometown. Thank you for reading this far and not admitting boredom. Later.

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Very good list of things to be thankful for. I've been a Cowboys fan ever since I first discovered pro football and I too hope they make it to the playoffs.