Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Is there a 12-step program for book buying addicts?

Hi, my name is Kim, and I'm addicted to buying books.

I went to Borders with Valerie today. She has been lusting for a new computer game, which we found out Borders does not carry. I had no intention of buying books although I should have bought books for the website development class that starts next Thursday. I did, however, want to look at a graphic novel, American Born Chinese, that I will probably purchase for my library's collection. (I love being able to say my library's collection.) Anyway, I looked at that book and browsed past the 3-for-2 table, but I really didn't see anything that I felt like I had to buy. Then a salesperson passed by and informed us that there were more 3-for-2 tables and the 3 could come from any of those. Damn the friendly salesperson! Why couldn't she just pass by and smile and go on about her business? Why didn't she ignore us? Of course, I ended up finding Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel, a book that I really wanted, and since I was buying one, I thought I should buy another, Wild Stars Seeking Midnight Suns by J. California Cooper, which meant that I got one for free, Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl.

When I was paying for those books, I realized that I should have brought the titles of the books for my class and bought those instead, but I did not put my purchases back or even consider doing so. Now, I will have to go back to the bookstore this weekend and get those two books. Maybe I should just order them from Amazon.com, which would keep me out of temptations way. I don't seem to have book buying binges when I use Amazon. Oh well, what's done is done.

I think I'll go read for a while now. Later.

No comments: