Thursday, June 23, 2005

A Mad Hot Inspiration & Something Incredible Day 2

I saw Mad Hot Ballroom this afternoon. It is a lovely movie about New York elementary students who participate in a ballroom dancing program and competition. The students were so cute. I think one of the things that I liked the most was their sense of innocence. They were ten-year-olds, and they knew some things about their world, but they still had a sense of innocence about them. My only criticisms of the movie are that I would have liked to have seen at least one dad talk about his view of his child competing in ballroom dancing, and I would have liked more conversation from teachers/principals about the dancers as students outside of the program. I only remember one principal talking about two dancers. Of course, it's apparent which team will win the big trophy before the moment arrives, but I still enjoyed the winners' and their families' and teachers' emotions when their school was announced.

A surprising side-effect of my seeing the movie leads to my incredible thing for the day. One of the teachers in the movie, really inspired me with her beautiful love for her students. She made me feel good about being a teacher, something I haven't felt for a while now. She teaches at a school that has a large Dominican population. Her desire for her students to learn that they can be something and do something was truly beautiful. At one point, she talks about how she wants to get inside all of them to make sure they know that they can become something great. It is apparent that she loves teaching these children. I wish I could be as enthusiastic and boisterous with my students and about my students. Of course, I teach jaded seniors, and I don't think ballroom dancing is the answer for them or me.

Now, it's awfully late, and I have to get some sleep. Later.

No comments: