Monday, March 07, 2005

Day 1 of Spring Break

Breathing Space
I woke up in a pensive mood this morning, feeling a need to write, but I'm on a research trip to look at some schools in San Antonio and Austin that have AVID programs and do teaming. No time to write some of the things floating around my brain this morning, and tonight I'm feeling pretty brainless. The day was actually very informative, and I'm not completely disappointed about having agreed to spend 2 days of Spring Break on this trip. My co-workers have actually been good travel buddies, which kind of surprised me. Except for one person, these co-workers are not people that I would call "work friends," and I was a bit worried about having to spend so much time together. So far, so good. I am glad though that I didn't agree to share a room with the two other ladies in the group. We have stayed in a suites hotel both nights, so there would have been plenty of sleeping space, but bathroom time and space would've been a problem. I figured that I live alone so I could stay in a hotel alone, and I'm so glad I did.

About literature -- On the way to San Antonio yesterday, I read quite a bit of What Was She Thinking? [Notes on a Scandal]. I finally got to the part where the teacher has sex with the 15 or 16 year old student. While the situation may not be funny, the narrator's take on this situation is often times hilarious. I am really enjoying the black humor of this novel, but the descriptions of the 40+ year old teacher sneaking around to have sex with a 15 or 16 year old boy are kind of creepy. I teach high school, & I can't imagine ever wanting to sneak around and have sex with any of my students. YUCK!!

No comments: