Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Post-rejection (Ireland) pondering

This whole school year, I have been saying that I must not teach again next year. Since Christmas break, I have known and said that if I have to teach again that I will not survive, and I believe this to be true. I want to do something completely different. A few months ago, I looked online at jobs for people with degrees in English, and the result was depressing. Without any experience, I am basically not qualified for anything other than teaching. I'm so jealous of my friend Penny who seems to be headed toward living her dream. She is going to grad school with full tuition and a stipend. I'm so jealous of her--well, not when she talks about the chaos of trying to ready her house for sale. ;-)

Possibilities
1. Middle school library job - I've worked with the person who is over the librarians in my district, and she said she would recommend for a job that is supposed to be available for next school year. Of course, if someone who is already certified applies, I will likely not even be considered. Also, the librarian at my campus said the principal at the middle school is hard to work with, but she assured me that I could handle him. I'm not so sure about that, but I think I would be willing to take that chance.

2. Academic Associate at my campus - This is an administrative position with various responsibilities relating to scholarships, testing, etc. I know I could do this job and do it well. I have been thinking since the weekend that I might need to leave the campus, not just the classroom.

3. ?????? - I guess there is always the chance that some other position will come up in the next couple of months, but I'm not very hopeful about it. I just know that I can not teach next year.

No comments: